Center on Addision
       
     
 Exterior before renovation: former police station
       
     
 Meeting, technology, and resource center
       
     
 Dining area
       
     
 Communal kitchen
       
     
 Gathering area and lounge
       
     
 Restored details
       
     
 Original building, 1901
       
     
Center on Addision
       
     
Center on Addision

Chicago, IL

Clients
Center on Halsted and Heartland Alliance Housing

Recognition
LEED Gold
2015 Chicago Landmarks Preservation Excellence Award
2015 Illinois Housing Development Authority, Housing Champion-Development of the Year
2015 Urban Land Institute, Vision Award

Role
Design Principal in Charge; Owner's Representative
Gensler; RubioStudio

In 2010, the Center on Halsted had an opportunity to expand the Senior Sage program by offering housing and a new community center. Once again, the COH acquired property from the City of Chicago: a former police station. With these additions, the COH now occupies an entire city block, making it the largest LGBTQ service center in the country. The police station became the community center for seniors, offering public programs on street level and social services for the residents of the Town Hall Apartments. Since 1902, the landmark police station has been an icon for the vibrant Lake View neighborhood. The building is a beautiful example of full masonry construction with many precious details and impressive craftsmanship. The historic facade and cornice were restored along with the original pressed tin ceilings, glazed masonry walls, and mosaics.

 Exterior before renovation: former police station
       
     

Exterior before renovation: former police station

 Meeting, technology, and resource center
       
     

Meeting, technology, and resource center

 Dining area
       
     

Dining area

 Communal kitchen
       
     

Communal kitchen

 Gathering area and lounge
       
     

Gathering area and lounge

 Restored details
       
     

Restored details

 Original building, 1901
       
     

Original building, 1901